Call For Entries: First Lutheran San Marcos Art Exhibit “Dry Bones and New Flesh”
Note: Please share in any networks you may have that covers eligible artists from the four counties. For a .pdf of this document, click Dry Bones 2018Fall Web. Right click should give an option to download to your computer.
What: A juried exhibition, primarily of 2D works, limited space for 3D works
When: Exhibition opens September 8th (subject to change Mermaid Society Calendar) and closes on September 22nd.
Where: First Lutheran Church, 130 W. Holland Street, San Marcos, TX
First Lutheran Church of San Marcos (FLC) is accepting entries for an art exhibit to be displayed as part of the 2018 Mermaid Society SMTX SPLASH, which is a celebration of “All Things San Marcos” focused on arts and culture. The SPLASH runs from September 8th through the 22nd. For more information about SPLASH, see http://www.mermaidsocietysmtx.com or search Mermaid SMTX on Facebook.
Exhibit Theme: theme for the show is “Dry Bones and New Flesh”, which originated with the Hebrew Bible’s record of the Prophet Ezekiel’s vision, found in Ezekiel 37. Our approach to the theme will be an expansive one rather than exclusive to that narrative. (see “nature of works” below) For more on Ezekiel’s vision and how it is used in Christian faith, see www.flcsm.org/ezekiel .
Nature of works and FLC approach to arts ministry: We believe that art inherently reflects God’s presence in creation. Because all creation is of God, submissions need not be traditionally ‘religious’ or have a specific scriptural reference. We seek any images that seek to explore the themes of death and rebirth.
- Open to artists from Hays, Caldwell, Comal and Guadalupe Counties as well as members of the Gentileschi Aegis Gallery Association (http://www.gagaart.org).
- 2D works: must be ready to hang, and weighing no more than 15 lbs. All works, including non-denominational and non-sectarian, that address the exhibition theme of “Dry Bones and New Flesh” will be considered. Submissions will be juried to accommodate the space available as well as suitability for the setting and theme.
- 3D works: We seek 3D works, but our ability to display such works is very limited as our space is multi-use. Please include dimensions and weight as well as any other information that might help us know if our space can accommodate your work.
- All entry forms and digital images must be received by August 5th to be considered. Artists will be notified by August 13th of the Jurors’ selections.
- All works selected for the exhibition are to be hand-delivered the week of August 27th to 31st between 10 am and 5 pm, or by arrangement with the church office. Works exhibited must be collected on September 24th, or by arrangement with the church office. We will not accept shipped works.
- FLC reserves the right to publish digital images of exhibited works in FLC documents, websites, and social media.
- Insurance will not be provided on work exhibited. Every reasonable precaution will be taken in the handling, exhibition, and security of the works. Artists may want to obtain their own insurance coverage.
Submission Process: Begin with online submission of the entry form at http://flcsm.org/dry-bones-entry/. Digital images for jurying must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. An artist statement (emailed with the digital image) is welcomed and encouraged, but not required.
Show Dates: The exhibit will open with a celebration on DATE TBD. The exhibit will be available during normal church office operating hours, as well as on Sundays, throughout the SPLASH celebration which ends on September 22nd.
Sales: Any inquiries regarding sales will be referred directly to the artist. Prices will not be displayed with the piece; Instead, a single sign will be posted in the exhibit area announcing the availability of artist contact information for sales inquiry. FLC will not take any commissions and will not be party to sales in any way. We only ask that all art remain in the exhibit for the duration of the show.
Questions: Contact Pastor Tim Bauerkemper at 512-392-2064 or email@example.com